|Click on Image to Enlarge
Luxembourg (233,643 bytes) ( 1,106 x 707 )
Because of its strategic position, the City of Luxembourg was, from the 16th century until 1867, when its walls were dismantled, one of Europe's greatest fortified sites. It was repeatedly fortified as it passed from one great European power to another: the Holy Roman Emperors, the House of Burgundy, the Habsburgs, the French and Spanish kings, and finally the Prussians. Today, with a population of about 90,000, the city is the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The image was acquired September 21, 2006, covers an area of 10.6 x 16.5 km, and is located at 49.6 degrees north latitude, 6.1 degrees east longitude.
Click on thumbnails below for full resolution images.
Size: (233,643 bytes)
Resolution ( 1,106 x 707 )
Please give credit for these images to:
NASA/METI/AIST/Japan Space Systems,
and U.S./Japan ASTER Science Team